Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Shopping for Wild Orchids at Gaya Street Sunday Market, Kota Kinabalu

After Tambunan, Keningau, Tenom, Sabah Agriculture Park, Nabalu and Poring Orchid Conservation Center, we stopped by Gaya Street Sunday Market in Kota Kinabalu for our "wild orchids shopping spree".
You will find all kind of wild orchid species being sold here assisted by colored photos. The hybrid orchids is located in another part of the market.

Shopping for Wild Orchid at Gaya Street Sunday Market, Kota KinabaluDear hubby choosing the orchids. Just like buying vegetables. In fact it is as they also sell vege together with the orchids. How about some orchid soup?

Wild Orchids at Gaya Street Sunday Market, Kota KinabaluWild Orchids at Gaya Street Sunday Market, Kota KinabaluWild Orchids at Gaya Street Sunday Market, Kota KinabaluWild Orchids for sale at Gaya Street Sunday Market. In case you wonder, those on the far left are not orchids :). They are sweet potatoes, tomatos and some green colored fruit (not sure what it is).

Wild Orchids at Gaya Street Sunday Market, Kota Kinabalu
Wild Orchids at Gaya Street Sunday Market, Kota KinabaluPhalaenopsis amabilis and modesta

Wild Orchids at Gaya Street Sunday Market, Kota Kinabalu
Wild Orchids at Gaya Street Sunday Market, Kota KinabaluGramatophylum plant for sale.

Wild Orchids at Gaya Street Sunday Market, Kota KinabaluPhalaenopsis amabilis

Wild Orchids at Gaya Street Sunday Market, Kota KinabaluSome three ferns

Wild Orchids at Gaya Street Sunday Market, Kota KinabaluWild Orchids at Gaya Street Sunday Market, Kota KinabaluDendrobium spectatissimum

Wild Orchids at Gaya Street Sunday Market, Kota KinabaluDendrobium spectatissimum seedlings

Wild Orchids at Gaya Street Sunday Market, Kota Kinabalu

5 comments:

  1. great pic!is helpful..i going there again,yes again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my name is Jay Pfahl and I write www.orchidspecies.com , the Internet Orchid Species Photo Encyclopedia. It is an international effort to have all the worlds orchid species with photos in one easy reference spot. At this time there are close to 11,600 species represented in 782 genera. I hope that you are aware of it but if not check it out.The site is non-commercial, no plants are sold, and the site is free for all to use. There are more than 800,000 users from around the world.
    You have a few orchid photos that IOSPE does not specifically Dendrobium spectatissimum but I am sure that there are others. I will give full credit to you as the photographer and I will also link up to your website at each photo site. Please let me know if you are interested in letting me use them.
    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I am a student in Singapore and I would love to use one of your photos of wild orchids in a project that I am working on. It has to do with tropical rainforests and orchids. May I use one of your above photos in my project? Specifically, one with lots of orchids on the ground, etc from the Gaya Street Sunday Market, Kota Kinabalu. I will of course provide you and your website with full photo credit.

    Please reply to me at schefbr0ATgmail.com

    Thank you
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm planning to take some orchids seedlings with me to Europe. Do you know if it is allowed? Will they survive 24h in a plastic box in a suitcase? Would love to have such souvenir from my trip :) Best regards, Olga

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Olga, I am not very sure about Europe requirement but if it is species orchid you would need some kind of permit from CITES. Check out this site - http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Sustainable-gardening/pdfs/c_and_e_abroad
    Hopefully it is helpful.
    I have seen orchids that survived more than 24 hours. Even few days if you wrap them with damp newspaper :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thank you!